Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My vet gave my cat a death sentence due to a pelvic fracture.

Customer Question

My vet gave my cat a death sentence due to a pelvic fracture. Apparently the fracture won't allow him to poop. My cat does not seem to be in pain he is not isolating and is eating. He was missing for about 3 weeks and came home this morning. The vet thinks the fracture is old. I do remember for a time he could not lift his tail however after resting he was back to normal
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If the fracture were old and Little Man has been doing well until now, why did his vet give him a death sentence? I can't imagine that his pelvis collapsed at this late date and just now is obstructing his rectum to the point of being life threatening. Does "old" imply that it occurred 3 weeks ago when he first went missing or longer ago than that? If he's truly badly obstructed, the regular administration of a stool softener such as over the counter docusate sodium (Colace, many generics) at 50 mg once daily can be palliative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?