Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My 16 year female main coon has not eaten since yesterday but

Customer Question

My 16 year female main coon has not eaten since yesterday but is drinking. She was having blood in her urine issues in the recent past but my vet assured me it was caused by stress. Her two brothers died roughly 2 years ago from congestive heart failure. Unfortunately I just got laid off and can't afford a lot of tests. She is just pretty lathargic. Should I just wait and see? I know your not a miracle worker just need a 2nd opinion. Thanks Michelle
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just went to the bathroom only urine no blood just regular color although she did throw up the water she just drank.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle! Thanks for writing in.Stress should not cause bloody urine, nor should congestive heart failure. Bloody urine can come from the urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra) - irritation/infection, blood clotting problems, bleeding tumors or other disruptions of normal lining; or, bloody urine can be see in diseases of reproductive tract (uterus/ovaries). The latter usually happens to those that have not been spayed/neutered, but it is possible to have an infection of a uterine remnant that got left behind during a spay operation.So... In a cat with bloody urine that is 16 years of age, the most likely problems are: bladder stones, bladder cancer or urinary tract infection (this is almost never without another problem, such as kidney disease, bladder stones, cancer, etc). A wait and see approach in this case may not be the best, ***** ***** your situation, it may be the only thing to do, unfortunately. Just noticed you said that she urinated normal urine; it's a good sign, but blood may be intermittent so you may not always see it. Some cats get a condition called idiopathic renal hematuria, which is a condition in which blood comes from the kidneys but no significant cause is found; this is not as likely in an older cat, however, those conditions above are more likely.Ideally, Cleo should have blood and urine testing, as well as an abdominal x-ray; I would try to do this as soon as you are able. For now, feed her canned food only, if she'll take it, because canned food contains much more moisture and will dilute her urine, making her urinate more frequently and in more volume, decreasing the concentration of stone forming substances and hydrating her. Other than that, there isn't much to do unfortunately...Here is some additional information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I did read up on the above topic. She has been spayed when she was a little kitten and these symptoms have just recently appeared. She has always had a ravenous appetite and drinks a lot if water. I will try wet food and will see. I just can't afford a $300+ vet bill if the prognosis is for me ultimately to put her down which costs roughly $400. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome; the prognosis may be good, for example, certain types of bladder stones may be easily dissolved by using a special diet and urinary tract infections are relatively easy to treat as well. What's important is knowing the problem (i.e. having a diagnosis); once you have that information, decisions on what to do may be a bit easier.... Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
No problem! Please be sure to rate my service if you've found it helpful and take care!