petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My kitten who's a male almost 5 months old, was injured by

Customer Question

My kitten who's a male almost 5 months old, was injured by an attack about 3 weeks ago. I thought he was bitten in the face by a snake. I can't afford to take him to the vet. He had t small puncture wounds on his left cheek. It swelled but he overcame it but the wounds have kept oozing pus. The hair in the area where the drainage touched all fell out but has since started growing back. Threw a big knot still in the area, and the one hole healed and the other hole has gotten larger. It oozes a considerable amount of pus and I can see in the hole. Almost looks like something's in the hole. It moves in and out sometime, when I mashed on it some today something grey was poking out. Have you ever seen or heard of this before.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. It sounds as if what you may be describing is a cuterebra. This is a fly larva that creates a hole in which to live and due to the bodies reaction to this foreign substance living there, inflammation and pus will be present. If this is what is going on, the treatment involves removing the larva ( in one piece if possible) and treating the infection. Even if you are able to pull the larva out yourself, the infection sounds like it needs antibiotics to be prescribed, especially if it has been going on this long. Here is a link with more information about this parasite. LINK HERE I understand that your finances may be limited, but her are a couple of options that may be of benefit to you. petsmart free visit: http://www.banfield.net/exclusiveoffer/Care credit (veterinary): http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/ I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z