Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat is 13 years old. She is not eating and has dropped

Customer Question

Our cat is 13 years old. She is not eating and has dropped weight fast within the last two days. She acts disoriented and meows like she is in pain. She just vomited bile. She is an indoor cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had these signs? Did it start before the weight loss became apparent?
Is she drinking? Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two days. Not sure about the weight as I have been gone for three weeks and husband stated she has been eating and just noticed her hind quarters extending. I cleaned the box yesterday morning and no urine or feces in box. She has trouble walking a bit. No diarrhea. She is wet around the face. Her gums are white. She has not been introduced to any changes in the house. Nothing has changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didn't drink any water yesterday and has not today. She just stands and then flops down and looking for cool places to lay.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I have to say that I am glad to see that you are planning to have her seen today. Furthermore, if possible, I would advise doing so urgently. White gums are a serious worry here for Cleopatra and an indication that she is either anemic (low blood volume) or struggling to get oxygen.
Since you didn't mention any struggles for breath, I would but concerns like heart or lung disease to the bottom of my concerns and would be especially worried about anemia. This could certainly cause weakness and disorientation. And that could cause her to cry with disorientation due to a lack of oxygen to her brain instead of pain. But if she could have eaten anything that has damaged her gut enough to cause internal bleeding (or has internal bleeding for any other reason), these too could cause her to cry along with these other signs.
Further to this, in cats her age, we can also see chronic anemia and nausea/vomiting both related to organ issues like kidney failure. In these cases, we can also have crying due to confusion because of secondary high blood pressure caused by the kidney disease. So, this too could cause all we are seeing for her.
Overall, we do worry when cats go off their food, but in Cleopatra's case I do think this is a side issue. Those white gums are a major red flag of a bigger problem. Therefore, we'd be best to get her seen urgently today, have her vet examine her +/- take a blood sample. Depending on their findings, they can advise you to what is causing her signs, whether it can be treated, and get her comfortable as quickly as possible. And if we can address those more serious issues for her, then I would expect her appetite to improve as we do so.
Please take care,
Dr. B.