Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our male cat "Shady" was curiously absent most of the day yesterday. We found

Customer Question

Our male cat "Shady" was curiously absent most of the day yesterday. We found him lying in some bushes in the front yard, hidden from view, when our two female cats took turns hovering around the area. It has been very hot here, but he usually is in and out constantly, always near the door and underfoot.Also, he usually comes when called and he was unresponsive even though he was only ten feet away.
He did not seem hungry or thirsty, which is odd for him. He is not overweight, but does like to eat. He seemed tired and lethargic. We got him to drink some last night and later ate some.
Today, he is lethargic. He is more vocal and more "himself" trying to swat or bite if he is annoyed. I did notice that he seems not to want to jump on anything over a foot tall. Also, he was walking around with his mouth open after going up some steps.
He has no signs of physical injury: no cuts, swelling, or tender places that bother him.
Should we seek vet's help or just monitor his c
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shady.
I am worried about his conditions, if he is hiding, not eating normally, and especially if he is panting/open mouth breathing with any exercise.
If you look at his gums, are they a normal pink color like your other cats, or are they more pale than the female cats?
Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102. A high fever over 103 could make him have these symptoms.
If he has a fever over 103 or his gums appear more pale than normal, he should be checked out by your veterinarian. Let me know how he is doing, and what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Shady doing?