Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Relating friend in Canada who has the cat* Cat had

Customer Question

*Relating for my friend in Canada who has the cat* Cat had just moved with owner to a new rural location and had been a city indoors cat prior to the move. He was gone for 2-3 days at this new location and came back with injuries that looked to be consistent
with a fight with another cat or animal- chunk of his mouth, above his eye, and above his cheek missing and back leg sprained (limping) with a swollen wound there also that is starting to come down in swelling. He is eating and drinking but not spending time
doing much besides laying around and sleeping in the shed. Tonight it looked like a milky-ish puss was coming out of BOTH eyes and his right eye was half shut. Owner is concered about rabies possibility? Does not have funds to go to emergency vet plus is in
a remote area of Canada.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Rabies is a concern if Henry has moved to an area in which rabies is endemic and he hasn't been vaccinated against rabies. In most cases, these cats are promptly vaccinated against rabies and then quarantined in the home for 10 days. Requirements vary, however, and so the local animal regulatory officer where ***** *****ves needs to be consulted. This can be done through a vet who needs to attend to Henry at your friend's earliest convenience. These wounds are going to become infected and abscess requiring surgical debridement and systemic antibiotics.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.