Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a few kittens that the mother had outside and they have

Customer Question

I have a few kittens that the mother had outside and they have fleas so bad. I know they are miserable, but they are only 5-6 weeks old. what can I do to get rid of them? (the fleas,that is)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, there isn't a safe flea preventative you can use on kittens this young. You can use Capstar if they are over 4 weeks and over 2 lbs. It is given orally and only lasts a day, but it starts to kills fleas in 30 minutes. You can also mix Dawn dish soap with water (half to half) and bathe them with that. That will kills most of the fleas. The problem with fleas is that they are an environmental problem. Roughly 95% of fleas are in the immature form in the environment. So, you have to treat the yard and house for fleas as well in order to get them under control. The Capstar (if they are big enough) and Dawn bath is only a temporary solution, but it will help them out a lot. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.