Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My vet told me that my cat had a stroke. He gave him a shot of steroids and gave me Clindo

Customer Question

My vet told me that my cat had a stroke. He gave him a shot of steroids and gave me Clindomycin. He said if he does not get better in a few days than it would probably be best to put him down. I'm just looking for some other options. He is only two years old and I cant stand the thought of putting him down. His left pupil is blown and appears to be cloudy and his third eyelid is more pronounced in that eye as well. He has been lethargic and sleeping non stop. He is disoriented and cannot walk straight. He has been tilting his head to the left and does seem to have some left sided weakness. I feel helpless and am looking for some guidance. I appreciate your help!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in.Did your vet run any bloodwork?Are his eyes moving from side to side or up and down very rapidly?How much time does he spend outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he did not. He said that he could recommend a place to have a CT done to see if its a tumor. His eyes have always moved rapidly from side to side since he was a baby. Now when I wake him there is barely a response. No rapid eye movement. I just recently started letting him go out (maybe a month ago) amd he spends usually 3-10 hours out there depending on the condition and if he doesnt come home before I leave for work. He usually comes home when I walk the dogs the last time at night and sleeps in bed with me or in my daughter's crib. He has had a number of deer ticks on him this summer. I'm sure to check him and remove any ticks every night. He also had an eye infection recently (the day after I started to let him go out) and it went away om its own but some of the hair on his face turned white so he looks salt and pepper in his face. I'm not sure if that is relevant but the more information the better I guess. I attached a picture although I'm not sure if you can really see the difference with his eyes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also not sure if this is relevant but he has hemophilia. Last summer when I got him fixed he bled continuously for days. I had to bring him back to the vet 2x and they had to do another procedure to get the bleeding under control. He ended up staying overnight for 3 days until he was healed (or not bleeding at least).
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. It sounds like Charlie Brown has really been through a lot. I can't really see how the hemophilia would be related, but I would be very concerned about his time outside and the ticks you pull off him. It sounds like your vet is treating for potential toxoplasmosis with the clindamycin. He would have gotten this from hunting a small mammal. I would also be very concerned about diseases transmitted by ticks. Other potential causes would be encephalitis (usually cause by the immune system but can be caused by infections), trauma, an inner ear infection, metronidazole (type of antibiotic) toxicity, thiamine deficiency (especially if he doesn't eat cat food) and a brain tumor (far less likely with his age). I agree that a CT scan or MRI will most likely be necessary to get a full diagnosis, but I would highly recommend checking a blood panel to look for tick diseases and possibly even start him on doxycycline until results come back in. I am not as high on an inner ear infection because it sounds more like this is coming from the central nervous system (brain). I am not sure what steroid injection your vet gave him, but I would make sure it is a long acting steroid. Your vet would be treating for a potential immune mediated encephalitis here. Not common in cats but possible. I would be more concerned about an infectious cause. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.