Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What health problems can I expect in a snowshoe cat?

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any genetic conditions that show up occasionally?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today. The Snowshoe, an absolutely beautiful breed, was developed in the late 1960s by pairing the Siamese with the bicolor American Shorthair. There are very few recognized medical problems in the breed because of the wide genetic base of the American Shorthair. According to Dr. Ross Clark in his book Medical, Genetic & Behavioral Aspects of Purebred Cats, the Snowshoe tends to be a hardy & healthy animal. Occasionally, breeders encounter a kinked tail carried over from the Siamese ancestry, but it is easy to eliminate the trait from any breeding program. I hope this is the information you were seeking. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am about to buy a Snowshoe kitten and am worried that she may develop some uncommon ailment that is passed along in this breed. My last cat was a sable Burmese and she died in March after 13 years. She developed growths on her corneas and had traumatic surgery on both eyes. The surgeon told me that she often sees this in Burmese and oriental cats. Hence my question about Snowshoe breed.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Although unfortunate, & unusual things can happen with any feline, at least there is nothing specific to the Snowshoe breed. They are wonderful & beautiful animals. You do not have to worry about any significant issues that we see in some other breeds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.Take care.