Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is always sleeping,little bit under wait , weak ,sleep

Customer Question

My cat is always sleeping,little bit under wait , weak ,sleep in her eyes. And notable to stand or walk. Plus not eating or sleeping.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had these signs?
How long has she been off food? Is she not drinking either?
Can Jo use her legs if you stand her up? Or does she appear paralyzed?
Has she had any vomiting, retching, gagging, or lip licking?
Any history of health issues or increased thirst/urination?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2weeks on Wednesday. A all 2weeks. No can not use her legs and is licking her lips last 3 or 4 days. No history of any health problems .she had her qpind taken out in march.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Can she not move her legs on her own at all?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
What did she have taken out in March (since what you wrote is not clear)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her wound so she can not have any babies. Her mouth are a normal colour. And can not move her leg at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
First, I have to say if she cannot move her legs at all, then Jo's situation is very serious. Her other signs (ie lip licking, appetite loss, weakness, weight loss) all tell us that she nauseous but inability to move her legs suggests paralysis. And at her age, we'd be worried about infection, inflammation or tumors in he brain or spine. And based on those signs alone, I have to warn you that this is a situation that needs to be addressed urgently and we'd want to consider having her to the local vet as soon as possible. Furthermore, depending on their exam findings, if a tumor was discovered, then we'd have to consider either trying anti-inflammatories to help her or even putting her to sleep.
Otherwise, my other concern here is that if she has not been eating nor drinking properly for 2 weeks; then she is at a high risk of being severely dehydrated and the nutrition she hasn't been getting will cause her to be very weak, tired, and induce weight loss. Now with cats in these situations, if they are not actively vomiting, then we may need to start syringe feeding food (ie wet kitten food, or a critical care diet from your vet) and fluids (she needs 48ml per kilogram of her weight per day) to at least break this cycle of starvation. Of course, if she starts to vomit, then we'd need her vet to use injectable anti-vomiting treatment to address this.
Overall, I am quite worried about Jo. Inability to even move her legs is a very serious sign and her prognosis is guarded. So, if she is starving herself now and causing herself dehydration; I would be worried that without urgent intensive care, she may not be able to continue for much longer. So, we need to get your local vet involved urgently to give her a chance here.
Finally, if you did want her seen right now, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )