Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 19 year old cat is showing some blood in her urine and

Customer Question

Our 19 year old cat is showing some blood in her urine and having occasional accidents. This is a completely new development. She is very old (obviously), has always been indoors, and is rather high strung, although she has calmed down with age. Should she be seen by a vet, which would be a trauma for her (although he is very nice) or would it be kinder to her to just let nature take its course?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Cecily has blood in her urine and is having some accidents.Cats can have blood in their urine due to an infection, crystals or calculi in their urinary tract, or even a mass in their urinary or reproductive tract. Cats with sterile inflammation of the bladder (Interstitial Cystitis) can have an inflamed, thickened bladder lining that bleeds.Cats tend to be poor drinkers and as such have very concentrated urine which can allow irritating crystals to form in her urine, which can lead to calculi forming.Is she straining to urinate?When she urinates is she only passing a small amount and visiting her litter box frequently?Is she licking her genital area more then usual?Is she eating normally?Any vomiting?I know that a veterinary visit isn't easy on many kitties but this is something that we may be easily able to fix and if she is having accidents that means she is likely uncomfortable and experiencing inflammation and urges to go. I think it is kinder to have a short period of upset and get her help and feeling better. Being female (short urinary tract) and older (weaker immune system) and her accidents an infection is very likely, and that we can help easily in most cases. Ideally your girl needs to see her veterinarian. I would start with a physical examination and urinalysis with culture to see if she has a health problem. Depending upon her examination findings radiographs and/or an ultrasound of her abdomen to evaluate her kidneys and bladder may be recommended. You can choose how involved you prefer to get with diagnostics, but a urinalysis with culture is relatively inexpensive and usually is enough to get us started in helping her.If she is able to pass urine comfortably today then just have her seen as soon as you can by her regular veterinarian to examine her and determine the cause of blood in her urine.However if she is only able to pass dribbles of urine and she is clearly very uncomfortable then she needs more urgent hands-on veterinary care.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.