Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 year old female cat has been off her feed for couple

Customer Question

My 12 year old female cat has been off her feed for couple of days and is hiding, I pick her up and palpaher abd all seems well there, but if i touch her left ear she ducks, thouch she is not picking at it herself...a little help please
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear that Katrina is not doing well. If you can check her ear closer, see if there is any discharge, redness or swelling. If she has an ear infection, that may be bothering her enough to stop eating and start hiding. The problem is that cats will stop eating and start hiding with just about any type of illness. They are so good at hiding their illnesses, that it is usually more advanced than we would think when you do notice them sick. My biggest concern is the not eating part. No matter the initial cause of not eating, if cats go anorexic for more than 3 days, they are at risk of a serious liver problem called hepatic lipidosis. This is even more of a concern if they are overweight. You can try getting a couple different varieties of canned food and even warm one up in the microwave for a few seconds. You can also try some canned tuna or pieces of chicken breast. If she is still not eating by tomorrow, or if you notice any vomiting, diarrhea, more problems with her head or any other sign of illness; I would highly recommend having your vet check her out and run some blood work. You want to make sure you get her back to eating again ASAP to avoid any further problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.