Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

MY CAT, DOTTY, IS 15 AND EVEN THOUGH SHE'S ALWAYS HUNGRY AND

Customer Question

MY CAT, DOTTY, IS 15 AND EVEN THOUGH SHE'S ALWAYS HUNGRY AND EATS AS MUCH WET AND DRY FOOD AS WE GIVE HER, SHE LOST 2LBS. (SHE WEIGHS 8.6 LBS.) IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS. SHE DRINKS A LOT OF WATER AND WE HAVE BEEN GIVING HER 2 SQUIRTS OF ENISYL-F PER DAY. I'VE READ ALL ABOUT POSSIBLE CANCER OR THYROID PROBLEMS, ETC. AND CHEMO TREATMENT FOR HER IF ADVISEDWOULD BE A LOT FOR HER TO BEAR (I KNOW I WENT THROUGH IT 3 YEARS AGO).
CAN I GIVE HER ANYTHING (MORE VITAMINS OR WHATEVER) WHICH MIGHT HELP?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your cat hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I understand that Dotty probably wouldn't be a good candidate for extensive treatments if she has something like cancer; most cats aren't very compliant when it comes to the various treatment options we might have for them.
However, if she were my cat or even my patient, I'd want to rule out Hyperthyroid Disease first since she sounds like a text-book presentation.
Testing is fairly easy (usually the T4 is elevated) and treatment options are relatively easy and inexpensive and they typically work quite well.
Most of my owners elect to treat their Hyperthyroid Cats with a gel which is rubbed into the ear twice a day. It really doesn't get any easier than this to treat a cat! Special compounding pharmacies can prepare the medication; even if you don't have one locally, most all of them will mail you the drug if your vet has provided them with a prescription.
Unfortunately, there are not effective over the counter options which will help if a cat has this condition.
If Dotty has cancer, then there are a few options which might help:
1. Fish oil supplements such as Welactin which is a liquid that's drizzled on the food. In fact, this supplement won't be harmful for her regardless of what might be going on.
2. Curcumin, the active ingredient in Tumeric, may have anti-cancer properties but I've not been too successful in getting a cat to take it. Thorne is a reputable company and the following link is to one such product which you might consider:
https://www.thorne.com/products/oncology-support/dp/curcuvet-sa50
3. Probiotics such as Forti Flora may help to stimulate and maintain a healthy immune system. This particular product is a powder which can be sprinkled on the food every day.
I would strongly encourage you to have her tested for Hyperthyroid Disease since this is actually not a bad diagnosis at all for a cat her age. The majority of my patients do quite well with treatment and has significantly improved the quality of their lives.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Philip,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb