Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has started sneezing a day ago and continues to do so.

Customer Question

My cat has started sneezing a day ago and continues to do so. He is usually very active, but he seems very lethargic now. I'm not sure if he's just sick with a common cold or something worse
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Does he have any nasal or eye discharge?
What color? Is it from both nostrils?
Any coughing or wheezing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has eye discharge, it's milky white
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And his breathing seems ok
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now we can see sneezing related to a few different issues for kitties. Still with this having just started and with our eye discharge being present as well, cat flu (aka upper respiratory tract infection) would be our main concern for your lad. Therefore, in this situation, as long as his discharge is not snotty/green/yellow (which would be a sign that antibiotics would indicated), the mainstay of the moment is supportive care.
First, to help reduce his congestion and sneezing, you can try steam treating him. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. Otherwise, you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier for him (directly or by making a steam tent with his carrier and a bed sheet). As well, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, do consider also using saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated) to help gently open his nasal passages. To do so, tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.
In regards ***** ***** eye discharge, you can also flush this way with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) or just clear away the discharge with a damp cotton ball.
Further to this we need to make sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat or drink. Therefore, any loss of normal of appetite, then we will need to tempt him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.
Overall, Ricky's signs do sound suspicious of cat flu. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to use supportive care help fight this off. Of course, if he isn't settling in the next few days or develops snotty discharge, then we'd want a check with his vet so that antibiotics and kitty safe decongestants can be dispensed to help settle this for him.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.