Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has a swollen jar/lower lip. It appeared suddenly this

Customer Question

My cat has a swollen jar/lower lip. It appeared suddenly this evening. She doesn't seem to feel great but is eating normally and is walking around. We recently had her littler mate die of unknown cause after what looked liked an anaphylactic shock from - possibly - a venomous insect bite. Should we be concerned? Do we need to take her to the vet tonight?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your girl who has a swollen lower jaw and lip. While there are a few things that could be going on here, if this swelling has appeared all of a sudden this evening, then this is most likely an allergic reaction to something. This could be a reaction to something in the environment, or indeed a bug or insect bite/sting.
Given the location of this swelling, along with this history of this girl's litter mate, I would recommend following up on this with your local vet in the next hour or two if you can. If the swelling continues, then this could quickly affect your girl's airway - and so, it is definitely better to be safe in this situation.
There isn't a lot else you can do from home unfortunately, and please definitely do not give any human anti inflammatories or other drugs as these are mostly all toxic to cats. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.