Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a male cat 12 yrs old neutered, had a check up 2 weeks

Customer Question

I have a male cat 12 yrs old neutered, had a check up 2 weeks ago and blood work all was normal even those he tested + for feline aids but never any symtoms. 3 days ago he came in the kitchen and was dragging his rt rear leg and the paw was knuckling. Took him back to vet , took xray and only sowed a minor compression on one of. The vertebrae. Vet gave prednisone, now on it f or 2 days. No improvement. Good. Appetite and bowel functions. Looking at maybe a ct scan with contrast for more answeres. Any thoughts
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Junior tested positive for FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) and now is having trouble with his right rear paw, knuckling over and dragging it.It is possible that he has intervertebral disc disease that has led to nerve root compression causing his symptoms, and that can respond the the use of anti-inflammatory medications like steroids (prednisone) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Metacam or robenacoxib. If he doesn't respond after a few days though it would make sense to have an MRI or Ct scan to look for a tumor, granuloma or signs of a blood clot or infection causing his symptoms. Surgery may be needed to relieve spinal nerve root compression and get feeling/function back in his foot.Since he is FIV positive though it is also possible that he has distal sensory polyneuropathy (DSP) secondary to the effects of FIV and inflammation secondary to the FIV infection, and virus particles in the nerves. There has been some research using a medication called brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which did seem to help, but as far as I know this is only done in research settings.While a CT scan will help identify intervertebral disc disease or any sort of external compression of nerve roots that may not be the issue with your fellow.Please let me know if you have any further questions.