Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

About six weeks ago the cat started acting spooked. She's an out

Customer Question

About six weeks ago the cat started acting spooked. She's an outside cat and only came into the house to eat. Six weeks ago she started staying in the garage, was hesitant to come out to eat. When she did come and eat she was eating only half as much as usual and would race back into garage. Four weeks ago she sopped coming out of the garage at all.
She began relieving her self in the garage which is something she'd never done before. Put a litter box in the garage which she now uses. She hides in a corner and only eats when alone. Urine has a very very strong ammonia smell. She has plenty of fresh water which she doesn't appear to be drinking much of (doesn't seem to go down much in the bowl...we change the water twice daily) although the amount of urine in the litter box appears to be much higher than normal. We feed her canned food only, typically 1/2 can in the morning 1/2 can in evening. She eats half of what we give her, sometimes nothing at all for a day or two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer. Your patience is greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry to hear your furry girl has been acting spooked for the past six weeks. While it IS possible, there is another cat, raccoon, possum, or another 'critter' out there that is threatening or frightening her, it's always possible that there is an underlying medical problem causing her recent behavior.
If she's isolating, not eating or drinking as much as usual and seems frightened, she could be developing diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver or kidney problems, among others, which need to be tested for and addressed by a vet. She also may have a viral or bacterial infection in her system or is bothered by intestinal and/or external parasites.
If her urine has a very strong smell, she could have a urinary tract infection and this is causing her discomfort. They should do a urinalysis at the vet.
It sounds like it might not be too difficult to get her into a carrier, so try to do that and have her evaluated by a vet or ER vet as soon as possible.
For the moment, continue to monitor her (you're doing a great
job! : )) and try to encourage her to eat and drink. Offer her some food from your finger. You also might want to put a Feliway plug in diffuser in the garage; this emits cat-calming pheromones and helps with stress.
I hope you can have her evaluated in person as soon as possible and all will be well!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for responding. Going to Vet not possible. Some additional symptoms: Diarriea or very watery stool. Also, she was favoring her left side, both front and rear paws when she walked although she is so reclusive now it's difficult to be sure if that's still a problem how ever she never leaves the ground now. In the past she would always sleep somewhere above ground...usually way above. Unless there is something you could prescribe or a change to her diet that you could reccommend I'll just have to let this run it's course. The fact that it's been going on two months with no improvement has me worried.
Thanks again
Jim
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jim and you're most welcome!
Thanks for your reply with additional information; also thanks for your patience, as I was offline when you posted back.
For the watery stool. you can add Fortiflora for cats to her canned food; this is a probiotic that will help keep 'good bacteria' in her intestinal tract. It's sold by vets and online. You can also add some plain unflavored yogurt (1 tsp.) twice a day, to a small amount of canned food and then feed her normal portion of food, or you can try Culturelle, similar to yogurt and also give 1 tsp. a day. You can mix plain overcooked white rice in with her food, too. You can use the rice and yogurt of Culturelle at the same time, but not with the fortiflora. Just use one or the other.
She may have an intestinal infection or ingested a toxic substance. If you can't get her to a vet, have a vet come to you. Here is a list of housecall vets that can evaluated her in her own environment:
http://www.vetlocator.com/housecallvets.php
I'm assuming she's spayed, but if she is not, she may have developed pyometra, a serious uterine infection which must be treated immediately. Here is more information:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/pyometra-in-cats
If she's spayed, we don't have to worry about this.
If she's favoring her left side/paws, is isolating, and not jumping up high, as usual, without any vet evaluation and bloodwork, it's really difficult to say what's wrong, except considering some of the possibilities I mentioned.
It sounds like she is in pain and we can't legally prescribe anything online. Cats can't take human pain relievers, so please don't give her any. Try to work out some way for her to be seen by a veterinarian to get a definite diagnosis and treatment.
I hope all will be well!
Warmest regards,
Cher