Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My 2 yr old cat has had diarrhea and vomiting days. He

Customer Question

my 2 yr old cat has had diarrhea and vomiting for 2 days. He is eating and drinking and active with moist nose. I have no idea why this is happening. What can I do to help him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I have a couple of questions, if that's ok.- any blood in the diarrhoea or the vomit?- what food is he eating at the moment?- has this changed recently?- does he go outside, and if he does, does he hunt?- is he up to date with parasite control, and if so, what?- how often is he vomiting/defaecating?- is he on any medication, and if so, what?Sorry for the number of questions - the extra information will really help. Thank you, Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is an indoor cat. No changes in diet. No blood in vomit but a tinge in stool after 4x in one day. I don't detect any fever. Today he vomit once and diarrhea 4x. He eats Purina natural.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get something to soothe his tummy and something to hydrate him. Can he have Pedialite for babies
Thank you for getting back to me - sorry in the delay in my reply I was having technical issues. As long as he is eating, drinking, and active then I think you would be fine treating him at home initially. If he stops eating, becomes lethargic, or both then I would definitely get him checked out by your vet. I think the main thing you can do to help him is to get him on a bland diet. You can either cook this yourself, or there are commercial diets which do the same thing (and are a little bit more balanced). The home cooked version is basically plain boiled/microwaved chicken and rice or fish and potato. Don't put any spices or oil or anything along those lines in it. You can also make him some scrambled egg (without milk or butter). The commercial diets I usually recommend are either royal canin gastrointestinal, or hills i/d. Both are specifically designed for patients with upset stomachs. You should be able to get them over the counter at your vets, or online, and some pet stores stock them as well.The other thing with diet is to offer little and often. Many times with cats just the sheer volume of food can put extra strain on the guts (even though they cope with this fine when well). If he eats meals as opposed to grazing, I would split the food up into five or six smaller meals so as not to overload him. Regarding your specifics, yes, you can safely give him pedialite for babies. He may not like it, as obviously the flavours aren't designed for cats, but it won't do him any harm and should help him keep balanced. A good medication to soothe his stomach would be zantac - this is an anatacid that can calm things down in the stomach. It is available over the counter at human pharmacies. The dose for cats is 0.5mg per pound bodyweight twice daily. If you can get any (it is sometimes available over the counter but depends on where you live) then kaolin can also calm things down. This is aimed at the diarrhoea rather than the vomiting. He would need 2mls three times daily. If the vomiting and/or diarrhoea persists despite the above then I would get him checked out. If he develops a lot of blood in his faeces, or bloody vomit, then again I would get him checked out. He would need antibiotics at that point. I hope I've helped - if you have any questions or need clarification on anything then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you've found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS