Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Have a feral female cat very small had her fixed after having

Customer Question

have a feral female cat very small had her fixed after having multiple litters. very thin was wondering if she has worms and what kind of medicine that can put in food
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
It certainly wouldn't surprise me if your feral friend has internal parasites as an explanation for her body condition. Round worms are going to be the most commonly seen parasite and are relatively easy and safe to eliminate.
Most pet/grain stores will carry Pyrantal Paomate under different labels such as Strongid or Nemex or Evict. You can even purchase it online. It's a liquid which can be added to smelly tuna or canned cat food and shouldn't be detected. I dose every 2 weeks for three doses.
This particular drug will also kill hook worms which might contribute to her thin condition. It
Another possible parasite would be tape worms. One very effective treatment would be Praziquantel (aka Droncit) which can also be purchased at local pet or grain stores or online; only one dosage is necessary. However, it's tablet which you'd probably have to crush in smelly food or she might detect it.
Drontal is a tablet which contains both Pyrantal Paomate and Praziquantel and would be an excellent choice but, again, it's in a pill form which may be problematic if she's too smart to fool (by mixing it in her food).
Retreatment may be necessary, though, if roundworms are present.
But, at least the above options are ones you can consider and decide which may work best for you. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb