Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I took my cat to the vet and they removed some teeth and

Customer Question

hi i took my cat to the vet and they removed some teeth and gave me some antibiotics which have now finished.he seems to be off his food and only wants to eat thin slices of roast beef,his fur is not as shiny as it wasi=, is bee propolis drops safe to put in his food.the other 3 cats i have have responded well to it but he so picky over his food.is there any natural tablet/drops i can put in his food thant cat pomote health to kidnes and liver and fight internal bacteria ie aloe vera etc regards neil
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Good question. No, I am actually not a huge fan of trying some of these supplements when there is possible nausea present. Also, we don't know if there has been a complication associated with any of the extractions.So, I am more inclined to only suggest an antacid to help settle the stomach like Pepcid A.C. Very safe stuff for cats and used frequently in veterinary medicine. Although not easy to give cats pills, you can give a ¼ tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid up to every 12 hours. There is also a risk of inducing diarrhea with the supplements. Definitely, this is worth a follow up discussion with your vet. Also, keep in mind, some of the cats don't like "stuff" on their food, so it could actually exacerbate the poor appetite.Hope that info helps.Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi is there anything similar i can buy in england,does it fight infection,and aid liver/kidney function.how long should i prescribe for.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
No. Pepcid (the generic is called famotidine) is only an antacid, nothing more. There would not be anything suitable over the counter in England or the States to address possible infection. There are various supplements that can support liver or kidney function separately, but I would not recommend ANY until it is determined if any organ issue exists. I really feel that a recheck vet visit or getting a second opinion from another vet today is worthwhile. I also cannot rule-out any underlying pain issues in the mouth, but unfortunately, we cannot give any over the counter pain medicine to cats safely.Wish I could do more, but hope that extra info helps.Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neil,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?