Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 12-plus year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. The

Customer Question

My 12-plus year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. The vet wants me to feed Purina DM dry, which Feline Diabetes Message Board discourages (on-line). Purina DM wet food is fine according to FDMB. Now I am worried about it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am aware there are some blogging sites which have posted odd erroneous or inflammatory information making unusual claims. There is no concern with this diet. Purina is a very reputable company that has put years of research into their prescription diets.We know that Purina DM has been formulated specifically for cats with diabetes mellitus and clinically proven to work in actual feeding studies. This is one of the very first diets ever formulated for cats with diabetes and it does make a huge difference in regulating these cats, and allowing for the administration of less insulin over time, which is wonderful. I have many patients on this that do super on the diet, but there are alternative prescription diets that could be tried such as Royal Canin Diabetic or there is a Hill's prescription diet as well that works. There is no "one" diet that is the perfect diet for cats with this problem, but we do know that by controlling certain factors in the food, it helps reduce the level of insulin needed, and DM seems to be one of the most palatable (cats like the flavor) and effective diets out there.Do you have specific concerns about the food?