Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat is bleeding from her eye after 2 days of that side of

Customer Question

My cat is bleeding from her eye after 2 days of that side of face being swollen. The eye is sunk in and does not blink.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds like Allie has experienced some sort of trauma. If she is an outdoor cat, which I assume, then the most common trauma to cause this is a cat fight and claw/scratch which has become seriously infected, an abscess. This is an issue that probably not going to be treatable without an antibiotic. That means you really should consider having her seen by her veterinarian. If you have trouble getting in to a clinic, then you could have a mobile vet visit you; you could try containing her to an area and have the vet visit. There is an injectable antibiotic she could be given so you do not have to actually give her something by mouth.
Until you have her seen by her veterinarian, the only thing you can do is try to flush/cleanse the area as best possible.These are very painful and please be cautious not to get injured doing this. If you do nothing and elect to watch this, if there is a bit swelling it will probably rupture which could then lead to a fairly large wound on the side of her head, and this is much more difficult to treat.
There isn't anything you can buy over-the-counter to put in her food or treat her from afar, unfortunately.
Alternatively, maybe this is not an abscess or fight-wound. This could be a tumor at her age, which is not good. This would not carry a good prognosis for long-term.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.