Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Cat freaks out during grooming

Customer Question

Cat freaks out during grooming
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We haven't found any easily available drugs to be effective enough in these cats - neither benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax) nor tranquilizers such as Acepromazine. Injecting them with a reversible dissociative drug such as dexmedetomidine (Dexdomitor) or the irreversible ketamine in a hospital setting and having the groomer associated with the hospital available to groom RoamIt as soon as the drug takes effect is a reasonable alternative for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think this is a good answer. I do not believe it is a solution to put your cat under every month for grooming. I want to know why my cat behaves this way -- perhaps you can tell me what kind of cat behavior I should be on the alert for prior to grooming -- or refer me to other persons/vets who have had success handling this behavior.
I have advanced training in feline behavior and must tell you that cats who become fractious when groomed aren't readily amenable to behavioral reconditioning. Habituation is most likely to be the most successful of the techniques and consists of initially grooming for a very short period of time and when RoamIt stays calm, he is rewarded with favorite treats. Grooming time is extended and rewarded until you're able to complete his grooming without his becoming fractious. Desensitization and counterconditioning, response substitution and flooding aren't appropriate for these cats.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.