Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I recently got a kitten from a farm. They said they gave it

Customer Question

I recently got a kitten from a farm. They said they gave it some de-wormer. at firstshe sleeps alot, she plays for a few minutes and then will snuggle with me our my daughter and go to sleep. and When I first got her, I gave her meow mix soft. I noticed it gave her diarrhea. I talked to someone and they said it was the food. I changed it to an organic food. Her poop isn't diarrhea but is still soft. I noticed she is starting to get a bigger gut and she seems a little more lethargic. Should I take her to a vet. I don't want her to suffer if something is wrong. Our if its just the change of everything and the fact that she is a very young kitten.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I think there are two things that you should do. The first thing I would is give her another deworming. Kittens should be dewormed ever 2 weeks until they are 16 weeks of age. I do think it is still a good idea for her to see the vet and to have a stool sample analyzed as well. There are several parasites especially in farm kittens that are not covered by the standard deworming medications that can give them diarrhea and a bloated belly. It's not likely an emergency but it is not typical of a very young kitten and we want to get this solved before it stunts her growth. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan