Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a 9 month old neutered female who is very lively. She

Customer Question

We have a 9 month old neutered female who is very lively. She is roaming the neighborhood. We are thinking she needs another cat, perhaps a somewhat older neutered male so she has company at home. We have had her 6 weeks. Is that a good idea? Is it too soon?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is there a specific reason why you think she may need another cat at home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems to need more stimulation and is very curious. We have always had a multi-cat household. We recently took a 5 year break. So I guess I assume she would like company just as humans do. Always, she is alive with curiosity when a big male comes on our property. Also, I think she would hang out at home if she had another cat to play with.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. Introducing a new cat into the household is always a hit or miss scenario. You just never know what they will respond. In most cases, I advise against it. Cats by nature are more solitary. They don't really travel in packs. If she is roaming the neighborhood all day, she most likely gets all the stimulation she needs there. She may even be tired and ready to rest if she seems like she is just sleeping or laying around when she gets home. If she is used to roaming and enjoys it, it would be unlikely another cat would keep her at home more. She may be curious with a male cat coming onto your property, but that can be a completely different scenario when introduced into the house. With that being said, being that she is only 9 months old, she may have a better time adjusting to a new cat than if she was older. If it is something you really want to try, I would stick with a neutered male more her age. If possible, I would check with a rescue organization to see if you can do a temporary foster to test the waters and make sure you will not run into problems before fully adopting another cat. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.