Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat has been vomiting (which is common sometimes-

Customer Question

My female cat has been vomiting (which is common for her sometimes- this time it seems evertime she eats) and appears listless - I did get her to drink a little water this morning but not much. this just started yesterday morning and I am leaving town - not sure if I should take her to the vet or if she just ate something weird. She is an indoor/outdoor cat and hunts often
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. When you got her to drink, did she keep the water down?What does her vomit look like?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I just noticed that she was listless last night I have not seen her feces and we have 2 other adult cats in the house so it would be hard to know who does what. Yes, she kept the water down but it was just a little - I have poked and felt around on her and she doesn't react (which is also unusual because she tends to be vocal.) she just wags her tail around and she looks at me when I speak to her so that's good and normal. Her vomit looks like regurgitated food. I am unsure of her gums and am at work at the moment but I can check. What does that indicate? She could have eaten any number of things - we live in the desert and she often beheads small rabbits/lizards/doves.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,No worries if you cannot check those just now, but do so when you are home. If the gums were pale in comparison to her friends, then we'd be concerned about anemia. Otherwise, sticky gums are an early indicator of dehydration. So, those can give us some clues to what is a amiss for her.Now if you are due to go on holiday and she is showing these signs of feeling unwell (cats usually try to hide when they feel unwell, so for her to be obvious listless tells us that she does really feel poorly), I do feel having her checked would be ideal. That way we don't run the risk of her becoming anorexic, developing fatty liver syndrome, and becoming dehydrated while you are away. Otherwise, I do want to note some supportive care that you could consider trying with Kitty. To start, since she can keep water down, we can try her with an antacid. There are a few antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are: *Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet) We tend to give these 30 minutes before offering food to give it time to be absorbed. Of course, do check with her vet first if she has any known health issues or is on any other medication. Otherwise, we can also start her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there arealso veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if she can keep the small amount, she can have a bit more after 30 minutes. And as she keeps it down, she can have a bit more and so on. The aim of these light diets are that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated. As well, do keep an eye on her water intake as cats with GI signs can quickly dehydrate a cat (and dehydration will make them feel worse and complicate their situation). Now if she is drinking and can keep water down,this is a good sign (since kitties who cannot even keep water down often need to be treated by injectable anti-vomiting medication from their vets to settle). If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, then do check her hydration status now. To check this, there are a few things we can test at home. Besides her gums, we can also check whether the eyes appear sunken and whether she has a "skin tent" when you liftthe skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a video on this HERE.(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same) If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have her seen urgently by the vet before this gets any further out of control.Overall, there are a range of agents that could be triggering her signs (ie bacterial or viral GI bugs, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion if she is eating wildlife, or blockages if she has eaten a big bone from one of those critters). At the moment, since she can keep water down, you can try resting her stomach tonight and then try the above. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet before you go. That way we can ensure there is nothing worrisome afoot. The vets will be able to have a feel of her to make sure she has no sinister lumps or bumps or anything that shouldn't be there. Depending on their findings, they can also check bloods if there is any concern about her organs (especially as chronic vomiting in older cats can be related to issues with the kidney or liver too). As well, the vet will be able to cover her with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle her stomach, get her back on track as quick as possible, and give you peace of mind while you are away. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr.B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )