Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

One year old active kitten was outside and somehow broke front

Customer Question

One year old active kitten was outside and somehow broke front humerus. Looks like a dislocation. Just hangs there. Cat not weight bearing. Choices were ortho consult and surgery or let cat rest in a crate or small room where theres nothing to climb or jump on. This is a usually active curious kitten. I cant see him wllingly being crated for 8 weeks. Any suggestions re recovery time. How sedate/confined he will meed to be w or without surgery and chsnces of bone setting right. Small 7 lb calico.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.First, I am sorry no one has addressed your concerns earlier. We come on line at different times, & I only now saw your question.Second, I am so sorry that Blaze has somehow fractured his humerus. Have you tried keeping him in a confined place? Some cats really do not mind being confined, especially if you use a large crate that can accommodate a litter pan, food & water dishes, & a comfortable place to rest. Every veterinarian that sees & treats cats will need to keep them confined for some periods of time. Boarding facilities, shelters, & catteries keep cats & kittens confined for long periods of time. So Blaze may do very well.Recovery will probably be 6-8 weeks, regardless of how you treat his injury. Rest & minimal use of the leg are imperative for a good outcome.The chances of the bone healing well depends on where, & how badly the bone was broken. Orthopedic repair is the best, ***** ***** the break is non-displaced & did not involve the joint, then conservative therapy and rest may be adequate. If feasible, the leg can even be slung to the body wall.So, try a large crate, use a Feliway diffuser in the room ( it produces a calming odor that only cats can detect, & is available at all the major pet stores ) & Blaze might be quite content to be catered to.If the break is not a really bad one, Blaze might be walking on the leg in as little as 2 weeks!I hope this addresses some of your concerns. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a displaced fracture right front humerus. Bone above is overlapping bone below. Will not set right on its own. Wondering if vet can set and splint it before we have to pin n plate him. He's not weight bearing on it at all. Gimping around
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
A displaced fracture does definitely complicate things. Setting the bone without the use of internal fixation is almost impossible because of the soft tissue forces ( muscle, tendon, & ligaments ) that will continue to displace the bone. So pinning is the best option. But in a young, lightweight animal, I have seen these fractures heal without surgery. Once, I was able to heal a humeral fracture in an older kitty by placing a wrap around her chest, then securing the limb to the chest bandage. This needs to be done under sedation by your veterinarian, and you will still need to confine Blaze for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. The bone healed by the formation of a callus that encompassed both ends. The leg was a tad shorter, & the cat walked with a slight limp, but very, very well.If you can financially manage it, surgical repair is his best option. Otherwise, talk to your vet. He/she may be willing to try some things as longs you are fully aware that the bone may not heal perfectly.