Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Good evening - We have a 13 year cat who is very much loved

Customer Question

Good evening - We have a 13 year cat who is very much loved and sleeps most of the time, loves being indoors and the only animal we have had until recently. Last weekend we took on two rag dolls one being a male and a female. The rag dolls are brother and sister at the age of one. A work colleague had to give them up due to going to a rental property. The female is very quiet and the male very domineering, when I released them from their cage after an hour or two I let our cat in who is a female, a big mistake as there was a vicious fight between our cat and the male, so since then we have had to have them separated. Albus - male rag doll just wants to attack her and constantly is at her door meowing. Albus was desexed just before he came to our home last week. We really want to provide a home for them but have to think about our cat's best interest. What can we do to help them get on and live in harmony? Thank you Cherylene
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cherylene. I'm Dr. Deb I recently came online and see that your question about your cats hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. First, I think that's terribly kind of you to adopt these kittens from your co-worker; not many folks would take on two additional cats.Second, I suspect that you may have rushed the introduction process just a bit if you don't mind my saying so.Cats don't like change very much, especially older cats and this is a very big change to your girl's world, even though you may have sufficient space for them all to peacefully co-exist.There are numerous articles on the internet about introducing a new cat into the household of existing cats but the one thing they have in common is that time and patience is needed. This is a LINK that I like a lot.I would advise you to completely separate the new cats as the article recommends into their own room, with their own food/water, litterbox and toys. Give everyone a chance to settle back into their routines before you reintroduce them into the household.This process can take up to a month in some cases. If you take it slower, then they may not be best friends, but at least you should be able to avoid hostilities.But, having said that, some cats simply cannot get along regardless of what you do (very similar to humans!). I hope that this is not the case, but if it is, you may have to make some decisions about the new kittens, unfortunately, since you don't want your girl to be miserable during her senior years. You might also consider use of a product called Feliway, a natural pheromone, which may help restore a sense of calm. Available on the internet and most pet stores as a diffuser or spray or a collar that the cats wear.There is another product called Composure Chews (Vetriscience) which may also be useful if Albus, in particular, likes tasty treats. I suspect there was just too much change and stimulation for Albus which is perhaps one reason why he behaved as he did. Hopefully, if you approach the introduction process more slowly, then he'll accept his new housemate and harmony will ensure. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb