Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Ive never tried Capstar, but EVERYTHING i have tried (natural

Customer Question

Ive never tried Capstar, but EVERYTHING i have tried (natural or not, half doses, smaller application amounts, flea colors, etc, etc) Causes my adolescent cats to become ill. Im not very knowledgeable with felines but im positive they have reached an anemic state, as well as slightly dehydrated. Currently the are their rambunctious selves, but any treatment will cause them to decline rapidly. I have a 3 week old baby, and fortunately diatematious earth has been our ally from a preventative aspect, therefore no bites. My cats stay indoors in efforts to, so to speak, quarantine the infestation. I was wondering if shaving my kitties would be a safe option? - i dont mind picking them off individually, if i could just get passed the hair. I also have effective methods of ridding our living environment of those nasty parasites, but is redundant until the cats are no longer the breeding ground. Or are there other methods besides shaving, and without chemicals i may have overlooked?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.You are stuck in a very tough situation. Environmental control is the key feature of treating fleas, especially in very young kittens. So, you have to get them out of the carpet, flooring or wherever the cats of housed and allowed. Revolution (which is prescription and you must get from your vet) can be used safely on the nursing queen, but flea combing and environmental control will be important for the young ones until they are old enough for other products which is probably until 5-6 weeks. A good metal-toothed flea comb can work wonder, and it's fun to drown the fleas in soapy water.You can safely shave the kittens, if this is helpful to find the fleas.Other possible options:1) Bathe in Lemon Dawn or Johnson's baby shampoo. It kills the fleas.2) At 4 weeks it is possible to use capstar at 1/4 to 1/2 tablet, however, please know this is an off-labeled use. You really must ask your veterinarian before using. I have done this in kittens of this age that were at risk for anemia and it did work, but remember it only clears fleas for 24 hours.