Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 15 yo cat is not walking properly and is constipated. He is leanin

Customer Question

My 15 yo cat is not walking properly and is constipated. He is leaning to one side
Do you think this if from the constipation
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.It would be fairly unusual for constipation to cause a cat to lean to one side. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's not the most likely explanation.Leaning to one side, could be a sign of nerve problems, vestibular problems (the part of the brain that controls balance), or pain in the bones or joints. Constipation can be caused by dehydration associated with kidney disease or diabetes, or it can be due to loss of muscle function in the colon.Stool softeners can be used, such as Miralax powder, 1/4 teaspoon added to the food at each meal, but in many cases an enema is necessary.