Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am rescuing a mother cat that lives outside, I just brought

Customer Question

I am rescuing a mother cat that lives outside, I just brought her in the house as she has just delivered 4 kittens, they were wet and she delivered them at the bottom of a motorcycle under a cover, I dried them off and made her a bed at the bottom of the closet but she is not feeding them, they usually lick them and then they go to a nipple, but they are not doing that, what should I do? I think they are 2 days old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now some young cats do struggle with motherhood. Therefore, make sure that you are restricting her to the area/room where you have put the kittens. Her food/water should be kept nearby so that she doesn't have an excuse to wander far from them. Hopefully, we will find that she is paying them attention and will start to feed them.Otherwise, if she isn't feeding them at all and they are weak with convex/empty bellies, then you may need to take over feeding them. To do so, you will want to use a kitten specific milk replace from your local vet or pet store. Do use a good quality brand like KMR or Cimicat and follow the instructions on the label to make the milk and feed proper amounts to ensure these wee ones don't waste away because of their mother's neglect. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )