Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat was given an injection last week dermatitis

Customer Question

Hi my cat was given an injection last week for milary dermatitis as she had scabs on her back and base of her tail, although the vet couldn't see any fleas on her he said the injection is given as a precaution as flea bites generally cause this condition.
She was also given a dose of stronghold for flea and worm treatment but since this was applied last week she has pulled a patch of her fur out which has a dry scab on it and it has bled.
I am concerned, she is due back at the vets in 2 weeks but she's is grooming herself more since these injections and flea treatments,
What can I do? Can I apply aloe Vera gel to the skin where she has pulled the fur out?
Any advice would be great.
Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am not a fan of aloe vera gel because it can gunk up the hair and be tough to get out. Also it can potentially be toxic in some cats if ingested in high volumes. So, I do not recommend this, but good thought since it helps people.What exact "injection" was given last week? Did she get a steroid shot (such as Depomedrol) or was she given an antibiotic (such as Convenia)?