Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I'm moving 4hours away and my 2 cats do not like to travel.

Customer Question

I'm moving 4hours away and my 2 cats do not like to travel. I have read that Alprazalom works. What dosage do you recommend? one weighs 17 lbs the other 12
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Alprazolam for cat travel? I generally do not recommend this because of a few factors. First, many cats with alprazolam experience the opposite of what we want and become hyper excitable, almost neurotic in their craze on this drug which can last for hours. Second, it does not provide a good level of sedation when used for this purpose. If, however, you are adamant in wanting to use this, then I encourage you to phone your veterinarian for a correct dosage. If your cats were my patients I might recommend try a dosage of 0.25mg per 10 pounds but only give it ONCE a day. You also definitely want to do a trial run at home before you give and discover your cat is one of those that goes crazy in the car. Please run this by your veterinarian before you use it just to ensure neither cat has a medical issue or is on a medication that would make giving this drug a bad idea.An alternative drug often prescribed for travel is acepromazine. This must come from your vet as this is a veterinary-only drug.