Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Inside-outside cat' approx. age 4 years neutered male

Customer Question

"inside-outside cat' approx. age 4 years neutered male 11pounds..has rabies-shots etc.
concern...during the past 7-10 days..he has randomly "peed" outside his litter box..on floor
in upstairs bedroom.. beside bathtub...on carpet in dining room.. he also goes in his
litter-box..the frequency is noticeable...hoping it is not a physical ailment..but can't
determine why it might be..psychological...his behavior seems normal otherwise...
no lethargy...again.. that we can see.. ANY INSIGHT OR SUGGESTIONS FROM YOU
ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any blood in the urine?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the symptoms and history you are describing with your cat are consistent with a lower urinary tract disorder. Possible causes are: Infections, cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), crystals (stones), etc. For this reason he has been urinating outside of the litter box. In this case, your cat will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a urinalysis as initial screening test. In addition, your vet may start him on oral medications (antibiotics). Highly recommend having him checked as soon as you can. You see, in a male cat this can progress to a urinary blockage (unable to urinate) which would be a life threatening emergency. So, it is best to treat early before it progresses into a urinary blockage. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** for the advice in regard to "inside-outside" male cat age..4 yrs.name: Calico..we took him to our local
pet hospital veterinarian July 24..and although the tests indicated he did not have bladder or kidney stones and the urine sample was normal..the Dr. said the frequent trips to the litter-box indicated that some sort of bladder irritation had been the cause. Calico is back to his "super-active" self..yeaaa.. Dr. Peter, you deserve "6" stars for your prompt and correct diagnosis which prompted us to move quickly to resolve the problem. What a wonderful and often "lifesaving" service this website
provides ! Bless the ones...who seek to help the "creatures great and small"...and their caregivers.
Keep on doing what you're doing..wishing you good and rewarding days.Laura E. Dyer
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Laura, I am so happy to learn your cat is doing better. Thank you for the compliment, really nice way to start my day. I am glad I was here to help. God bless you. Have a wonderful day. Dr. Peter