Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat has recently lost a lot of weight and is not acting

Customer Question

My cat has recently lost a lot of weight and is not acting like her normal self. She's not eating or drinking as much as usual. I took her to the vet today and I was told she is anemic and has a heart murmur. My vet gave her a shot of B12, pulled a cbc, gave fluids under the skin, and a advantage flea treatment. Four hours after I have gotten her home her behavior has gotten more unusual. She used the bathroom on the carpet, she won't eat or drink, and she's lying down with her tongue sticking out of her mouth. Her blood test results won't be back until tomorrow. My question is, do you think this is signs of kidney failure? She is 6-7 yrs old. She came to me as a stray and she has never been vaccinated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Pattyann. I am happy to help you this evening. It does not necessarily sound like kidney failure. Especially at her age it would not be common unless she got into something she wasn't suppose to. I would be concerned that she may have some sort of infectious disease such as feline leukemia or FIV that could be causing this or even some other infection. The heart murmur could be because she is anemic (the thinner blood can cause a murmur that isn't normally there) but the big question is why is she anemic. And the fact that she is rather young, stray, and never vaccinated would suggest a possible infectious disease. Blood work should help rule some things out but she may specifically have to be tested for these diseases. The fact that she has her tongue sticking out of her mouth is concerning and just laying around. It would be a good idea to have her seen tonight again if she does not show any signs of improvement or if she worsens. Going to the bathroom outside the box is also a sign of her not feeling good at all. This is her saying "hey something is wrong, help me". It definitely sounds like she may need to be seen again tonight if she is acting this way and possibly have some more tests done to see what is going on besides the blood work that was drawn tonight. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. You were very helpful and got back to me in a timely manner.
You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget tor ate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!