Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dr. Linda, Mr Cheddar has seemed to have gotten a chest

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Linda, Mr Cheddar has seemed to have gotten a chest cold. His breathing is rattley & rather "loud" at times which has caused my concern. He is still eating & drinking at this time but I am concerned that this might worsen in time. I have a bottle
of Amoxicillin Tabs which was prescribed to our dog Rusty who weighs 18.5lbs. Do you think it would be of any benefit to him if I dose him? Mr. Cheddar is approximately1lb. If you recommend that I should treat him, what would the dosage be and how often.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question this evening.I am so sorry for your concern with Mr. Chedder. Yes, you can start your little friend on some amoxicillin. You do not say what strength tablet you have, but a 2-3 pound rat would need 10 - 20 mg every 12 hrs.If you need help in calculating a dose, just let me know. If you miss me tonight, I will be back on line tomorrow morning to help in any way I can. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding quickly. I have 100mg Tabs. Mr. Cheddar has weighed in at 1lb. What is the dose and how often?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, how should I administer it to him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems the best I can do is cut the tab in 4 quarters. Will 25mgs be to high of a dose?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. You will need to take 1/4 of a 100 mg tablet & crush it as fine as possible. Mix the powder with 1 teaspoon (5 ml ) of a tasty liquid, such as broth, tuna water, or even Karo syrup. Give Mr. Chedder 1 ml, or approximately 1/5 of the teaspoon every 12 hours.You might not be exact, but you will be very close. If you can not get him to take it as a liquid, you can mix it further in a tiny bit of peanut butter, or something else he might enjoy snacking on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help and attention to Mr. Cheddar's health and happiness. Sincerely ***** *****
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I would give him the antibiotics for the next 3-5 days. Watch to make sure he continues to eat & drink, & that his stools do not become runny. Stop the antibiotic if they do.You may continue our conversation about Mr. Cheddar at any time for the next 7 days, so please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.And please rate my answer so I may get credit for my time. Thank you & all the best to you & Mr. Cheddar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as you said, I crused 1/4 of the tab and mixed it into maple syrup. I have to say he was the easiest animal patient I've had to give meds too. He ate all of it with no problem and was looking for more, lol... Again, thank you.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Great. It is always a relief when a patient is so cooperative. Again, let me know if anything else comes up. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why am I not able to rate my expert?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Wonderful to hear from you again. I hope Mr. Cheddar is feeling better.There should be a place where you can contact customer support if you are having trouble with the site. There is nothing I can do on my side, so you should be able to send them an email describing your problem.I am totally helpless with this computer stuff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is much better. I will contact customer support. I'm not any good at either, lol...
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Wonderful. Take care & all the best to you & Mr. Cheddar.