Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has a recurring enlarged lymph nodes throughout

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has a recurring enlarged lymph nodes throughout his body. It started a year ago with just a large lymphnode under his chin on the right side. We biopsied his lymphnode but it was not cancerous; however, it was sent to a specialist to verify. To be safe, we had that lymphnode removed. However, two months later all of his lyphnode enlarged and he became lethargic. We hydrated him and put him on antibiotics, and he recovered and the lymphnodes went down. This spring they enlarged again. The antibiotics kept them from getting too large. He has been off for a month and they seem to be getting too large again and he is getting thinner and coughing a little more, but seems to be eating. Is there anything else other than Doxycyline (and one additional Veraflox) antibiotics that we can try? Could it be allergies? We live on an Acre of land in Park City, Utah.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I would aspirate a couple more nodes just to make sure they are not cancerous. Lymphoma could still be on the list. As long as that is clean, I would try a round of Clindamycin + Baytril. That will cover the spectrum of bugs that could lead to this lymphadenopathy. A culture of a node would be another option to see if you can identify the offending bacteria and figure out what is causing this and what antibiotic best treats it. Just another option to get some answers. In the absence of a diagnosis, Clinda + Baytril would be my choice. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.