Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Symptoms are-Rescue cat,3 months ago,bloods /felv

Customer Question

Hi,symptoms are-
Rescue cat,3 months ago,bloods for fiv/felv clear -
1 yr old,to thin,coat poor,one eye has third eyelid-very submissive stress- licks stuff a lot (metals )
wormed with advocate/and followed up by tapeworm wormer.
vacinations up to date.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cat-Lovers-Only.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. thanks for the question. It sounds like he was in rough shape when you adopted him. This is not going to be a quick fix, but you can get him nursed back to health and to a normal body condition. If he's thin, I would probably feed a mixture of a kitten food and an adult food. This is higher in calories, and will help to get his body condition back to normal. For the ocular signs, I would give a round of antibiotics. Something like Clavamox would be nice to get rid of any bacterial upper respiratory infections. The other thing you can do, is give some Lysine. Lysine has some anti-viral effects, and it's nice for these upper respiratory cats with assumed Herpes virus. You can give 250 mg every 12 hours. I would have him stay on that for a month or two. I would try to get him looked at weekly and weighed weekly to make sure he's slowly coming around and turning into a normal cat. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.