Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My kitty has horrible coughing episodes that rakes her whole body, it

Customer Question

my kitty has horrible coughing episodes that rakes her whole body, it looks very much like the videos on the internet of cats with asthma, heavy mucous in her throat, greenish yellow mucous from her nose when she sneezes 10 times, frequently, and we have tried every treatment on the planet...nothing helps
she also after an episode has trouble swallowing due to the heavy mucous, and you can hear her breathing and hear the mucous in her nose, she has had this for about 2-3 years...during this time we have been non stop trying everything we can to help her...
she has been tested for any and all diseases...nothing.
she is raw food fed, and some high quality canned food, NO kibble at all....her treats are freeze dried beef liver and she drinks and eats well...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I understand your frustration and commiserate with you. You’ve described feline chronic rhinosinusitis which is a diagnosis of exclusion when other etiologies have been ruled out (fungal infection by culture, malignancy by biopsy, bacterial or viral infections by a pure culture or PCR of common respiratory pathogens). This syndrome is actually a constellation of diagnoses made by biopsy, culture, and PCR (DNA-based) testing. The three broad groups we see are lymphocytic-plasmacytic-, eosinophilic-, and idiopathic (unknown cause/the most common) rhinosinusitis. This syndrome is one of the most significant causes of sneezing and nasal discharge in the cat. The nasal discharge is generally serous (clear serum-like), but secondary bacterial infections can result in the development of mucopurulent (mucus + pus) discharge and inflammation can be severe enough to cause intermittent hemorrhage. The clinical signs can persist for years.It's postulated that an early severe viral infection may trigger chronic disease. In addition, it's estimated that approximately 80% of cats are latently infected with FHV-1 (herpesvirus), and so another possible scenario for chronic infection is that she's is exhibiting the symptoms of persistent herpesvirus infection. If FHV-1 can be confirmed by PCR testing, the antiviral drug famciclovir might be helpful. (PCR testing for FHV-1 can be difficult to interpret due to prior vaccination.)In general, these cases are somewhat refractory to treatment and palliation of clinical signs rather than cure is the goal of medical management. Broad-spectrum antibiotics are often prescribed to manage secondary infections. Administration of antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine at 1-2mg/cat orally every 12-24 hours may lessen clinical signs of disease in some cats. Moistening therapies such as nebulization and saline nasal drops can help loosen secretions and soothe mucosa, particularly in dryer climates. The anti-inflammatory glucocorticoids such as prednisolone may be helpful as well. Prednisolone may be used at a maximum dose of 1-2mg/kg orally every 12 hours. If a positive response is noted, the lowest dose and the longest dosing interval that is effective should be determined by adjusting the dose over time. Inhaled glucocorticoids can be used as an alternative to decrease the systemic side effects of oral glucocorticoid use and have the benefit of directly affecting the nasal mucosa. Beclomethasone or fluticasone can be administered by metered dose inhaler (MDI) with an inhalation chamber at 1-2 puffs once to twice daily. This syndrome is the bane of too many cats and their vets but hopefully the above approaches will be at least palliative if not curative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although I appreciate the answer...we have had her tested for FIV and she is negative
I am also very concerned that all that has been offered are very harmful pharmecutical drugs...I am quite concerned about using these as I know they clearly only bandaid the symptoms instead of cure the problem...plus they harm the good stuff she has inside...I was truly hoping for a more natural approach...we have tried saline drops in her nose...no help...
No worries. I'll opt out which will allow other vets to enter our conversation. Please amend your question by typing "I'm looking for a naturopathic vet..."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im looking for a naturopathic vet please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....just wondering if there has been a new naturopathic vet found yet???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello...I haven't heard from anyone yet...is there someone out there???