Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 17 year old cat has CKD stage 2 and has Feline Lower Urine

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat has CKD stage 2 and has Feline Lower Urine Tract Disease which I realize is not a disease technically but it is saying there is something wrong in Dreamer's urinary tract. He just got off of a 20 day Clavamox Wednesday, Aug. 17 and want to have a urine culture done to find out what is causing this so it can be addressed. So we are waiting 10 days before we do the Urine culture so that all of the antibiotic haws cleared out. My question is D-Mannose safe in a condition like this? Is it considered a antibiotic which I want to stay away from if possible till Friday so the urine culture can be done. I also heard it said
Then It's the Whole Cranberry that is the problem for cats. It contains an acid that over time becomes toxic to cats. The active ingredient in cranberry is D-Mannose which can help with 2 bacteria is what we use instead. BUT I wouldn't use it unless you know your kitty has a UTI from one of these bacteria, E.Coli &  Klebsiella. No supplement or drug is w/o side effects & if it's not necessary we don't recommend using them.
Is this statement true that until I know what is causing the UTI that I should not try D-Mannose?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them. Rechecking a bacterial urine culture and sensitivity is best done two days after the course of antibiotic has been completed. Waiting 10 days can allow a resistant bacteria to cause unnecessary further damage. While d-mannose isn't expected to be harmful, we have no studies proving efficacy of this sugar in cats. The original information concerning its use was in people suffering from E.coli in their urinary tracts. d-mannose appeared to dislodge those bacteria from the lining of the urinary tract. d-mannose is not an antibiotic. I, too, prefer not to administer anything to cats that isn't absolutely necessary. As a species, cats are quite sensitive to far too many drugs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just waiting to find out the results from the urine culture and then I will rate.
No worries.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?