Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Wondering if it's that time to put my cat down....she's 19

Customer Question

Wondering if it's that time to put my cat down....she's 19 years old and she pees and poops all over the house. She'll go right in front of you and not a care in the world. She doesn't seem to screech or anything before going (no pain externally). She's
lost ALOT of weight,when you pet her you can feel her spine, ribs, everything. She seems to act pretty normal for an elderly cat, she tries and stays close to me & laying on me more frequently (which is rare for her) I know she's lived a long, great life...but
I don't know if it's a sign she's at the end of her life or something medically that can be fixed.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on your history of Rocky, we do have a few concerns for her signs. To start, inappropriate fecal elimination is not uncommon in elderly cats due to arthritis. Often these cats find getting into the litter box and balancing themselves on pebbly litter to the bear down and pass feces to be too much for them. Therefore, we can often help with that side of their signs by using lower lipped litter boxes, soft or fine litter substrate, and treating the arthritis (ie using glucosamine/chondroitin/duralactin/omega 3 +6 fish oils for mild cases and cat safe anti-inflammatories for more severe cases). So, those would be options to start for her. Otherwise, my other concern is that her urination habits are driven by another issue. Especially if she is losing weight. Specifically, I would be concerned that we do have a health issue that may be causing her to need to pass more urine (possibly dilute/watery urine) more often. This can be an issue that then leads to lapses in litter box manners in cats. In regards ***** ***** causes, we can see this all with kidney disease, liver troubles, heart disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism. So, these would be diseases processes to consider for both her urinary habits as well as that dramatic weight loss. With this all in mind, you do have a few options. You can consider letting her go at this stage or you may want to have her vet examine and check bloods to diagnose which of the above is lurking. Depending on those findings, we may find something we can manage and therefore reduce her needs to perform what is really an unnatrual behavior for her (since cats instinctually bury their wastes). So, that would be an option to see if this behavior is rooted in a health condition you can address and correct for Rocky. Please take care,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Danielle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.