Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat just came back from the vet, had impacted anal glands

Customer Question

My cat just came back from the vet, had impacted anal glands and a diaper rash. He was shaved, now keeps licking that area and is breathing fast. He is eating and drinking normally, not vomiting.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he on any medications? 2- Did the vet send him home with an ecollar (cone)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cone. Vet said he did not need medications as there was no evidence of infection.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Did the skin rupture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no rupture of skin, just irritation.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, he may be breathing faster because he is uncomfortable from having the anal glands expressed. This is what you can do: 1- Need to stop him from licking area or he will irritate the skin making it worst. I would phone your vet for an ecollar (cone) or you can buy one over the counter in any pet store to stop him from licking. 2- Apply warm compresses for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day, this will provide relief if he is experiencing a little discomfort. 3- Do not give over the counter pain killers; they are all toxic to cats. You can discuss with family vet to dispense prescription pain killers for cats. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!