Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our elderly cat , we think is somewhere between 14 and 16

Customer Question

our elderly cat , we think is somewhere between 14 and 16 years old has white gums, not eating as before, losing weight, hiding for 2 days now out with us, he looks like chocolate Siamese, w chocolate mask long haired , tufted hair in paws, blue eyes, we did rescue of over 174 cats both feral and stray, he Meow Meow has been with us for over 6 years
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Pale gums tell me that he is anemic. Anemia can be from one of many things- cancer (lymphoma, leukemia), auto-immune disease, parasites (fleas, Haemobart) or kidney failure. They can all lead to pale gums and lethargy. Bloodwork is done to narrow down that list and find out what is causing the signs. I would start there with your vet, and then determine if it's treatable. I think the chances of this being treatable and curable are fairly low, but it could end up being auto-immune or Haemobart where it can be cured. I think the more likely scenario is that there is some type of cancer or kidney failure, where the disease is essentially terminal. there are treatment options to give some good quality of life, but those are not things we can cure. For now, figure out what it is and then make the decision that best fits both of you. I'm sorry again for your situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.