Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I just lost my cat of 15yrs old yesterday it was very

Customer Question

hi i just lost my cat of 15yrs old yesterday it was very sudden i fed him heard him scratchin in his box and about an hour later i found him dead he was fine the day before has been his normal self about a month ago he had a slight cough and when he was
finished coughing he sounded congested but that went away and it never slowed him down eatin etc so i guess what my ques is what may have happend he was also an indoor cat all black short haired male
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you today. I am so very sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your dear cat. When sudden death occurs in an elderly cat, the most common cause is a heart problem, which leads to an abnormal rhythm of the heart beat. This causes a sudden drop in blood pressure, and collapse, and if the heart does not return to its normal rhythm, death can occur within minutes. Heart disease also can cause blood clots to form, which can lodge in the brain, lungs, or other places, and can contribute to acute death.Elderly cats can have significant heart problems that are undetectable under normal observation, and even during a routine physical examination. So, unfortunately, we see a lot of older cats that only show signs of heart troubles when it's too far gone to be able to help them.Again, I am sorry for your loss, and i hope this information is useful.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew