Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had two smaller theeth (inbetween the two larger canines

Customer Question

Hello, My cat had two smaller theeth (inbetween the two larger canines in front)lower, extracted plus teeth cleaning last Thursday, 3 days ago and since I picked him up the third eyelid has been protruding. After reading a few sites on why this happens I'm very bothered that possibly the teeth didn't need extracted and the nerve was still alive and active, relating to the third eyelid causing this problem. I can sense my cat is still in pain and will be taking him back to the vet first thing in the morning. I've just started using this vet since I moved here and am concerned. I've had cats all my life and never had problems with teeth cleaning with 3-4 other vets. The cat is only 8 years old, very health, perfect lab work. Do you think the cleaning might have been too aggressive? Or can you please offer suggestions/ advice on this cause. Only his left eye is doing this, the third eyelid covers half the eye. Thank you for your responce. Cathy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Without know why the teeth were extracted, I cannot comment on if it was necessary or not. The bone separating the tooth roots and the eye is very thing in the cat and if there was post-op inflammation, it could be the cause of the elevated third eyelid.
Are the pupils on both sides the same size and do they respond equally to light?
By any chance, were Dusty's ears cleaned out during the anesthesia?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.