Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Yes i just lost my cat yesterday who was 15 yrs old it was

Customer Question

yes i just lost my cat yesterday who was 15 yrs old it was very sudden he ate went in his box and with in an hour i had found him what may have caused this he was normal the night before he was an indoor cat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he had i guess you can call it a cough on and off i would then listen to him and he sounded congested but all that went away he was never sick was just his normal self
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss. The history of coughing and congestion is the clue that either cardiovascular or lower respiratory disease existed. Cardiomyopathy - heart muscle disease - is more likely in a 15 year old. It can result in heart failure in two ways - a peracute (sudden) decompensation in how the heart functioned due to the heart muscle becoming unable to contract efficiently or an arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) which also can cause the heart to decompensate.
Asthma is a life-threatening lower respiratory disease of cats. Peracute bronchospasm - narrowing of the airways - occurs in cats as it does in people who immediately reach for their inhalers. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?