Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Kitty is drooling and drinking excessively

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she strictly indoors? 3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 noticed the drool n drinking yesterday
husband says cat wouldn't eat much dice two days before
so could be 4days2 indoor outdoor cat
3 could have eaten a poisoned vole or other vermin
4 no vomiting or diarrheashe did this last night and slept w me and bathed herself which indicated feeling okthen the drool n drink Braganza again about 1:pm today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
began again today about 1:pm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out so another expert could help you. I am not set up to make a live call, sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey it's ok if you can't call
just tell me what to do w kitty please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, drooling and polydipsia (increased thirst) - while important symptoms - aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Drooling suggests oral trauma or gastrointestinal distress/nausea. Polydipsia suggests a profoundly dehydrated cat. If she isn't losing fluids through vomitus or diarrhea, there are quite a few conditions to consider...
1) Bleeding internally such as would be seen with anticoagulant rodenticide ingestion - often by ingesting a rodent whom was poisoned. Please check her gums and tongue. If not nicely pink but whitish instead, she has become profoundly anemic due to internal bleeding.
2) Urinary tract infection involving the kidneys
3) Both kidney or liver insufficiency
4) Pyometra - uterine infection in an intact cat.
5) Diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, Addison's disease - all rare in a 2 year old
6) Miscellaneous electrolyte - calcium, sodium, potassium - imbalances - rare.
Please check her color for me, pick up her skin between her shoulder blades and see if it returns to normal quickly or not (if not, she's dehydrated), and please check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
my guess is that she has eaten a poisoned rodent
now what do we do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
breathing is not elevated
yes less than 40 beats per minher tounge while bright pink was out a little while she slept last night
( I've seen this as normal sleep w tounge out in the past)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when she tried to eat today she began to drool most excessively the drank more waterthen cried an is hiding now
The antidote to such poisoning is large doses of vitamin K administered by needle initially and then orally by you at home. IV fluids are administered initially in order to rehydrate my patient. Lili will need to see an on-call vet at your earliest convenience.
answer to second post: a careful exam of her oral cavity might find trauma - associated with fighting with that rodent?
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you give me a minutes to look at her
I'm pleased to hear that her tongue doesn't indicate anemia. I'll wait for your next post. Our posts are crossing...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
car is drinking and TRYING to eat
she is acting like somthing is lodged biting til tiling her head toward side on which she is drooling, tonguing and tilting
the triangle area under her chin to throat is hard and puffy.it's tough to see in because she is very petitt
she is in a slight respiratory obstruction the trauma of somthing lodged swelling infection and the object blocking ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to ver in AM ? or now
she is in pain
I'm sorry for the delay. I retired for the night but happened to see your last response when I walked by my computer. I regret that I'm unable to assess her condition from here. If you think that she's in respiratory distress, she needs to be seen now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
she is not in distress exactly just impacted by the other things happening around the event
she is resting n cuddling sleep next to me will go to vet first thing in mornoing
Thank goodness.