Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My 10 year old Gray Tabby is limping slightly on her left hind

Customer Question

My 10 year old Gray Tabby is limping slightly on her left hind leg. Can I give her aspirin for the pain?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry Princess has hurt her leg. To be honest, although technically you can give aspirin to cats the dose range is so small and it is very easy to poison them. Cats' livers are slightly different compared with ours, or dogs for that matter, and they actually don't have the enzymes needed to process aspirin. The only reason I would prescribe aspirin for a cat is if they have a blood clot in their legs (which unfortunately happens fairly often) specifically to prevent clots from forming. I would never prescribe it for pain relief. If she is limping slightly on her leg then I think the safest thing to do would be to not give her anything. If she goes outside then I would check her for wounds, as the most common reason for cats to limp slightly is being bitten by another cat. If you find any, bathe them in cooled boiled water and I would get her checked out by a vet tomorrow as she will likely need antibiotics. If she doesn't go outside, then this is likely a sprain and I would just keep her rested overnight. If she is still limping tomorrow then I would get her checked out by your vet. I have seen a lot of cats overdosed by people trying to help, and it is far safer not to give her anything. I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this or need clarification then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive recommendation so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS