Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

My 13 year old cat looked like she had furballs, coughing and

Customer Question

My 13 year old cat looked like she had furballs, coughing and attempting to throw up. I took her to the vet, they did xrays and found she had nothing in her stomach or throat that would cause this. There was only gas in her stomach, and they concluded the gas was causing her to gag. They gave her a shot of B-12 and some Onsior and sent us home. She still is gagging and is very uncomfortable. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is she having any trouble breathing?How often is she coughing and attempting to throw up?Is she still eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no trouble breathing, she acts like she is trying to throw up all the time, but it gets much worse when I pet her and she starts to purr. She is eating and drinking less than normal.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear that Chase is still coughing and is uncomfortable. These symptoms are concerning since her symptoms did not improve with the Onsior (pain medication). Without examining her, giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing her symptoms. She really does sound like her gagging is related to a disorder in her throat or airway. Here are some possible causes of a respiratory disorder that could be causing her symptoms: - Asthma, which is very similar to what people have. This is inflammation in her airway that can cause coughing, wheezing and the appearance that she is trying to bring something up. This can be diagnosed on an x-ray therefore I would double check with your vet to see if this is affecting her.- A mass, foreign body or polyp that is causing irritation or a small blockage in her throat- Heart disease which can be hard to diagnose always just with an x-ray - sometimes a blood test or ultrasound is needed to confirm this disorder- An respiratory infection is also possible The gas in her stomach most likely did not cause her to have these symptoms as this is most commonly secondary from her swallowing air when making the gagging noise. Many cats will swallow a lot of air when coughing. At this point, I would definitely discuss all of these disorders with your vet. A treatment such as a steroid medication can help asthma quite well. If this is not the diagnosis, then she may need some additional tests to determine the exact cause of her symptoms such as an ultrasound of the heart or a endoscope to look into her throat.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt