Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 3 year old cat is sneezing coughing and will eat then gag

Customer Question

my 3 year old cat is sneezing coughing and will eat then gag all day. he then throws up large amounts of the food he has eaten. what could be causing this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Neko doesn't sound "fine" to me. His sneezing, coughing and gagging suggest upper respiratory infection such as is seen most commonly secondary to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). Thankfully, most cats will remiss unaided from this virus within 1-3 weeks. I suspect that he's gagging to the point that it's causing the vomiting you're seeing. The inflammation in his throat causing that gagging might be reduced by a low dose of a prescription corticosteroid such as prednisolone available from his vet. The dose of such a drug must be kept low so as not to immunosuppress Neko which then might exacerbate his infection.
If Keko is unable to retain his food and water, he's going to end up dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. This can be avoided by having supplemental fluids administered by needle. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.